Friday, January 19, 2007

Sugar, Spice and All Things Nice


The concept of a terrifying mother-in-law is one that exists in my mind as legend rather than fact. My own mother-in-law (lets call her Ginger) is the perfect mixture of sweetness and spice. Ginger's wit is wicked enough to make her two grown sons blush but she is also unendingly sweet and kind. As if that weren't enough to make her near and dear to my heart, she is also a spectacular cook. Over the years, many of my friends have fallen for the sweet charms of Ginger and her sugar cookies. So, by special (and repeated) request here it is,

Ginger's Famous Sugar Cookie
1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat butter and sugar together until light in color. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour and salt. Chill for 1 hour. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 11 minutes. Do not allow cookies to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with royal icing.

4 comments:

Jennifer W. said...

That picture is absolutely classic!

carrotz said...

Evie, as always sweet words from my sweet girl! Now we will have to go shopping for some vintage hankies to dry my eyes. I especially like to cut the cookies into medium rounds then frost to look like buttons. Great for baby showers. Enjoy! Ginger AKA Carrotz

mary mary said...

I won't admit that it's the first thing I became giddy about when you and your hubbie married - but, let's say, this recipe was pretty near the top 3. Thank you Eeps and Ginger!

The Narrator said...

Not to mention the woman can whip up a mean podcast plot.