Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Jambalaya

The weather outside is woefully wet. Though I am fortunate enough to have a job that keeps me indoors, today's chills seem to warrant more warmth than brick and steel will allow. Rather than trudging through my day, I would like nothing more than to go home and curl up in a big pot of Jambalaya. Nestle in with the rice and bells and let the spices redden my cheeks like a warming rouge. Breathe in the steaming broth of my seasoned sauna and decorate my toes with celery curls. Instead I've got to stand up, pick the tomatoes out of my hair and face the clouds and chaos. Is it just me? Would your world look better today from under the lid of a pot?

Jambalaya

olive oil
2 andouille sausages, sliced
1 raw chicken breast, sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp thyme
2 tomatoes, diced
8 oz tomato sauce
1 quart chicken broth
2/3 cup basmati rice

Saute the chicken and sausages in few Tblsp of olive oil in a dutch oven until lightly browned and cooked through. Scoop all those lovely browned bits of flesh out of the oil and set aside. Add oil to pot if necessary (you should have about 2 Tblsp) and saute onion, celery, and bell pepper until softened. Add garlic paprika, cayenne, and thyme and cook, stirring constantly for one minute. Add broth to pot, slowly scraping up all the delightful brown bits from the bottom. Then add tomatoes, sauce, and rice and bring to boil over medium high heat. Once your Jambalaya is merrily bubbling away put a lid on it a lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until your rice is soft enough for sweet dreams.

1 comment:

Lori Lynn said...

Evie - you crack me up! I believe that you were inside the pot of jambalaya.
Congrats on the Foodie Spotlight on the Foodbuzz homepage!