Thursday, July 03, 2008

In a Pickle

Phew! With the temperature shooting up like hot soup in a blender it is certainly time to reevaluate my kitchen routine. No hot dishes will be coming out of this kitchen, I plan to make a mockery of my blog name till September. I have been very busy pretending that I do not have a stove, but homemade pickles were promised at tomorrow's fourth festivities so it was time that I reacquainted myself with the heat beast. Refrigerator Pickles are not the difficult project they seem, but do require a bit of time for the brine to work it's magic. Last Sunday when I should have been diligently scouring the local farmers market for worthy specimens I was filling my belly with sausages and gravy. (A decision I would absolutely make again!) As I finally found my way to my local grocer, I had hopes of finding a grand display of summer vegetables, bright as any baubles in a jeweler's case.
While the cauliflower looked too tired to make the trek to deliciousness, the presence of peppery radishes set my nose twitching as eagerly as a rabbit's. I distinctly remembered seeing a recipe for pickling radishes SOMEwhere so I was certain that they would be a hit. I like to peek in on my pickles throughout the week but as each day passed those radishes began to look less like food and more like cadaver flesh. At this point, their disturbingly soft texture and eerily pink pickling liquid make them completely unappetizing to any living, breathing human being. My only hope is that there will be zombies at tomorrow's celebration. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

cadaver flesh is a descriptor I don't see nearly enough.

Evie said...

I'm super impressed. Of all teh store bought pickles I only like Calussen,they have the best crunch, but I don't know if I would have the guts to make my own! And I am looking to find your homemade pasta incident!

Anonymous said...

Oh these look just lovely! Hooray for canning!

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse