Thursday, November 05, 2009

It's On!


I know that I've blathered on and on about soups here before. Really how can I get so excited about veggies and stock? I just love that you can take a pathetic looking remains of your vegetable bin and make something so utterly desirable with them.
I make at least two giant pots of soup a week around here and we eat every bit of it. Many soup recipes begin with a similar base, (onion, garlic, celery, and carrots) so why not do all of the chopping at once? While this is a fantastic way to cut down on cooking times, eating your way through an entire pot of soup can be a chore rather than the pleasure that a meal should be. My solution? I divvy it up in single serving containers and place in the freezer as soon as it cools. On workout nights when I am too tired to cook, we each get to pick our own "frozen dinner". A fully stocked soup supply also means that it only takes a few minutes to pack up lunch for my husband. Frozen soup, a salad, a piece of fruit and he is out the door.
Here are some of my freezable favorites. All recipes are easily doubled or tripled.
Curried Carrot Soup (also good with a can of coconut milk thrown in at the end)





No comments: