Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Green Beans FTW


I had intended to bring you the recipe for the mandarin and olive sauced salmon that is peeking out from the back of the plate here. The green beans were just an afterthought, something I threw together with what happened to be in the fridge. Thanksgiving is approaching and I had in mind updating that infamous "Green Bean Casserole" but had not much hope for it's success. Fortunately, I hadn't eaten all my veggies yet when hubby and I declared that the green beans had stolen the show. I was able to snap this very unflattering picture before I scarfed them down. I know that these beans are not going to win any beauty contests, but delicious as they are I know I will being seeing them again. If you give this recipe a try (you totally should) I highly recommend making garlic mashed potatoes too.

Mushroomy Beans
2 Tblsp butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
5 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 cups of green beans, trimmed
1/2 cup beef broth
1 TBLSP sour cream

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add onions and cook for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper to the pan and cook until the onions are softened and brown, low and slow. Add the green beans and broth to the pan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until beans are cooked through. Remove cover, stir in sour cream and cook long enough to warm through. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

1 comment:

Lani said...

These sound amazing. I will definitely try them out.