Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Chili Mac Makes a Comeback

Served with a concealing blanket of cheese and sour cream I was able to convince TWO beer swigging, kale hating men to eat this chili mac. It is an edible deception, decadent in appearance, vegetle in nature. Adding a bottle of beer to nearly any meal will make it more appealing to the man in my life. Micah even once suggested that a bottle of brew might enhance a woeful alfredo. It was with him in mind that I took opener to bottle and transformed this chili from ho-hum to so-yum.

Vegetarian Chili Mac
1 Tblsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
12 oz bottle of Corona
15oz can black beans, drained
15 oz can kidney beans, drained
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 chipotle peppers, seeds scraped out and diced (The kind that come in a can of adobo sauce)
1 bunch kale, stems removed and cut into squares
1/2 Box Barilla Plus elbow macaroni
shredded cheese
sour cream

Heat oil in a large dutch oven. Add onion and carrot, then cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until softened. Add garlic, spices, and tomato paste and cook for one minute stirring often. Add half of the beer and scrape up any browned bits that may have accumulated on the bottom of the pot. Now add the beans, tomatoes, and peppers. Cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale and rest of beer to pot, put a lid on it and cook until kale is tender. Place desired amounts of macaroni and chili in a bowl. Top with a sprinkle of cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

2 comments:

kickpleat said...

damn, that looks good.

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I remember my first experience with a Chili Mac (when I fell in love with them as did my mom) being at an I-Hop restaurant we no longer have. Now I can try my hand at home; don't know why I never thought of that before but thanks for the inspiration!